+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    30

    Certifications
    BS. IT, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, SSCP
    #1

    Default Am I wasting my time with SSCP?

    So I just finished up with the Darril Gibson's book and I'm really not impressed. A lot of the information I have atleast seen a few times before in my other studies. I wanted to take the SSCP exam because it has been years since I've taken my Sec+ cert, but I'm beginning to feel like it may not be worth it.

    My job doesn't require me to get this, but I get antsy when I don't study anything. Should I have just went for CISSP???
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    30

    Certifications
    BS. IT, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, SSCP
    #2
    I forgot to mention, that I have minor in Cyber Security from my undergrad so that may be why it seems so familiar.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    124

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISM
    #3
    How many years work experience in Cyber Security do you have?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    2,903

    Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    #4
    Are the jobs you are looking to move into asking for it or will it help you advance in your current position? If no, I'd say the cert probably isn't worth the time or money.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    589

    Certifications
    OSCP, GWAPT, CEH, SSCP, EJPT, CCNA:Security, CCNA:R&S, Linux+, LPIC-1, SCLA
    #5
    The only positive thing that happened to me because of the SSCP is that I'll be featured in ISC˛'s blog as an SSCP spotlight within the next few days .

    Maybe I got interviews because of it but I'm not too sure because no one really every asked me about it.

    So like NetworkNewb said, if the jobs you're looking for are not asking for it, I'd skip it and go at something else instead.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    30

    Certifications
    BS. IT, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, SSCP
    #6
    I have no working cyber security experience. All of my work experience is as a net admin.

    My goal is to move towards the security side and out of the networking side so much. A lot of the jobs in my area always list CISSP but I'm not really that interested enough to take that exam so I thought this would be a nice alternative. I just don't want to take it and I cant do anything with it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    30

    Certifications
    BS. IT, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, SSCP
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JasminLandry View Post
    The only positive thing that happened to me because of the SSCP is that I'll be featured in ISC˛'s blog as an SSCP spotlight within the next few days .

    Maybe I got interviews because of it but I'm not too sure because no one really every asked me about it.
    .
    Congrats on that!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    385
    #8
    I skipped it. Didn't really see value in it so I'm just going straight for the CISSP now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,382

    Certifications
    CISSP-ISSAP, HCISPP GPEN, GSEC, GSNA, GCIH, E|CH, ECSA, Security+
    #9
    You probably have enough background in IT to merit the jump to the CISSP. Its the automotive mechanics and GAP employees that show up with the CISSP and no IT experience that get immediately discounted/rejected.

    At 125,000 certified members and climbing there is really no reason at this point to become CISSP.

    - b/eads
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    2,903

    Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by beads View Post
    At 125,000 certified members and climbing there is really no reason at this point to become CISSP.
    Except that since everyone and their mom now has the cert, companies might think of it as an easy requirement and expect people to have. Kinda like how the A+ is to entry level support positions. You don't need it, but you probably should have it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    506

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, HP APS, VCP 3-4-5-6, VSP,VTSP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, CISSP
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by JasminLandry View Post
    The only positive thing that happened to me because of the SSCP is that I'll be featured in ISC˛'s blog as an SSCP spotlight within the next few days .

    Maybe I got interviews because of it but I'm not too sure because no one really every asked me about it.

    So like NetworkNewb said, if the jobs you're looking for are not asking for it, I'd skip it and go at something else instead.
    How were you choosed?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    30

    Certifications
    BS. IT, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, SSCP
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by beads View Post
    You probably have enough background in IT to merit the jump to the CISSP. Its the automotive mechanics and GAP employees that show up with the CISSP and no IT experience that get immediately discounted/rejected.

    At 125,000 certified members and climbing there is really no reason at this point to become CISSP.

    - b/eads
    Interesting that you say that because I have no drive to get the CISSP what so ever. However, I do see it mentioned as a preferred qualification a lot of the time. I guess its on to something else now... I hear OSCP is fun
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    385
    #13
    As long as job descriptions list the CISSP as a required/preferred credential to have, there is no reason to suggest not getting it.

    The cert alone will do nothing to convince a hiring manager to offer a job to you, but for someone trying to bypass The Wall that is HR, it certainly does help.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    589

    Certifications
    OSCP, GWAPT, CEH, SSCP, EJPT, CCNA:Security, CCNA:R&S, Linux+, LPIC-1, SCLA
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLavoie View Post
    How were you choosed?
    They emailed earlier in 2017 asking if I would be interested in it, so they sent me a questionnaire to fill out and that was it. They came back to me last week saying they would like to feature me as in the blog as part of their SSCP spotlight series.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    124

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISM
    #15
    If all the jobs in your area ask for CISSP then maybe the SSCP isn't right for you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    124

    Certifications
    S.S.C.P. , Hyper-V 74-409, Sec+, MCTS Vista, MCDST, MCP 270/90, ITIL Foundation, Citrix CCA XP, Citrix CCA FR3
    #16
    From my own point of view I actually found this to be the hardest exam Ive ever taken.

    I already have the sec+ but thought that this cert and the people who write the cert endorsed me more in the security world.

    The Daril book isn’t enough to get you through the exam anyway and is quite light reading.

    Although it’s a technical exam I still think its still too much theory rather than needing the experience. That said, it doesn't explain exactly how to implement something eg NAT but you know what it does and you know what to google. Maybe that the level its aimed at and shows you know where to look.

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    30

    Certifications
    BS. IT, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, SSCP
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by triplea View Post
    From my own point of view I actually found this to be the hardest exam Ive ever taken.

    I already have the sec+ but thought that this cert and the people who write the cert endorsed me more in the security world.

    The Daril book isn’t enough to get you through the exam anyway and is quite light reading.

    Although it’s a technical exam I still think its still too much theory rather than needing the experience. That said, it doesn't explain exactly how to implement something eg NAT but you know what it does and you know what to google. Maybe that the level its aimed at and shows you know where to look.
    Appreciate you for giving me some insight. I think I'm going to go ahead and schedule the exam in a few weeks and see how it goes. It wont hurt...maybe wont help either but who know.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,895
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ITSec14 View Post
    I skipped it. Didn't really see value in it so I'm just going straight for the CISSP now.
    This one is wise, wise beyond their years....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,895
    #19
    Over half the "security" jobs on INDEED either required or preferred the CISSP. It is your best bang for the buck and that is a fact.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    53
    #20
    if you did not pay for the sscp exam. they skip it the knowledge you studied for will help with cissp. I say for cissp if you meet their requirements. You can also do CEH., I assume its easier that CISSP.

    I have my SSCP & security+. I hope to get my CISSP in december.


    Believe me I hate studying for it but it is really good for the resume. I always see the CISSP as a job requirement or preferred. I would rather study for CEH. I agree though security is better than networking.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,382

    Certifications
    CISSP-ISSAP, HCISPP GPEN, GSEC, GSNA, GCIH, E|CH, ECSA, Security+
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    Except that since everyone and their mom now has the cert, companies might think of it as an easy requirement and expect people to have. Kinda like how the A+ is to entry level support positions. You don't need it, but you probably should have it.

    It's probably been devalued enough for everyone's satisfaction to include the ISC(2), guess its time to raise the testing fees. Oooops! I see they beat me to that very point. Raise 'em again. The auto mechanic with ZERO practical experience and CISSP didn't make it through the team interview so my comments were moot before I could pipe in.

    - b/eads
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member mikey88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    231

    Certifications
    CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by beads View Post
    The auto mechanic with ZERO practical experience and CISSP didn't make it through the team interview so my comments were moot before I could pipe in.
    The Auto mechanic with zero security experience will not qualify for CISSP unless the experience was somehow falsified.
    2018 Goals: CySA+[] CISSP [ ]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    2,903

    Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by beads View Post
    The auto mechanic with ZERO practical experience and CISSP didn't make it through the team interview so my comments were moot before I could pipe in.
    But do you think he would he have even made it to your interview if he didn't have his CISSP?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,382

    Certifications
    CISSP-ISSAP, HCISPP GPEN, GSEC, GSNA, GCIH, E|CH, ECSA, Security+
    #24
    @Mikey88;

    I've meet many faux-CISSPs over the nothing new here. I saw CISSP listed on his resume with no number so I cannot look it up. He also listed the CCNP but could barely explain a VPN setup using IKE. I didn't press the 1st and 2nd pass setup exchanges. Besides, without the number listed, what's the use?

    @NetworkNewb;

    He was interviewing for the senior windows administrator position not a security position. All in all he seemed most comfortable with hardware than Windows, networking or security but had mid level certs to the contrary. I didn't bother to sharpen my knives but simply left them in their scabbards.

    - b/eads
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member yoba222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    710

    Certifications
    CySA+, LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, CompTIA Trifecta
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey88 View Post
    The Auto mechanic with zero security experience will not qualify for CISSP unless the experience was somehow falsified.
    Well if you get really creative, installing car alarms sort of deals with physical security. And maybe all that CAN-bus hardening to stretch even farther . . .
    2018: CCNA Cyber Ops cohort 7
    2019: OSCP | CISSP or CISA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks